CIOs are also reporting higher levels of maturity in hybrid cloud operations. Since 2019, there has been a 700% increase in CIOs who report having deployed advanced capabilities. AI-enabled workflows (560% increase) and cloud-native development (467% increase) are among the leaders. (2)
What does composable mean?
According to Gartner, composable organizations follow these practices: (3)
- Practices adaptive strategies to spot and respond to opportunities and threats.
- Promotes a high-trust culture that empowers employees to make decisions independently.
- Empowers internal functions, product teams, external allies, and business partners to work together through autonomous, self-organizing networks.
Composable Business Architecture
- Shapes multidisciplinary teams to align on value, promote transparency, and drive accountability.
- Collaborates on-demand and designs business processes in parallel with technology capabilities.
- Distributes accountability for digital outcomes beyond the IT organization to other business units and leaders
- Establishes iterative development techniques as the default approach.
- Facilitates continuous and effortless sharing of ideas and access to platforms and tools—across internal functions, product teams, external allies, and business partners.
- Creates dynamic and easily deployable integration capabilities for connecting data, analytics, and application components.
Wise investments in composability can drive significant long-term returns. According to Gartner, high-composability enterprises increase revenue and budgets faster, leveraging IT better. They also project nearly an 8% increase in revenue while expanding their IT budgets by about 4%. (4)
As the research suggests, it’s critical—and beneficial—for CIOs and other technology leaders to shift their strategy to become a composable organization.
1, 2– “The CIO Revolution: Breaking barriers, creating value – C-suite Series: The 2021 CIO Study,” IBM, November 2021
3, 4 – “2022 CIO and Technology Executive Agenda: A Banking and Investment Perspective,” Gartner, November 2021