An explanation of industry terms that is a quick read, and knowledge base.
What is DevSecOps?
Defined in connection with the DevOps model, DevSecOps is both a model and a cultural movement that aims to bake security directly into the application development process, shifting the security requirements of a solution “left” (closer to the beginning) in the software development lifecycle.
The DevSecOps model is tasked with introducing security earlier in the software development life cycle. By shifting security practices left, closer to the beginning phases of the program, organizations can innovate with security built-in. This will empower the teams to work together to unlock the business objectives without delaying or blocking the release due to security, privacy, or compliance issues being uncovered too late in the product delivery lifecycle.
How does DevSecOps work?
Like the DevOps model, DevSecOps is a software development model designed to minimize vulnerabilities in applications by bringing the security team closer to IT operations team giving them the opportunity to collaborate toward a common goal of meeting the business objectives. DevSecOps bridges gaps and breaks downs silos between IT operations, security, and engineering. When DevSecOps is embraced by all affected teams, together they can move quickly to meet business and market demands while retaining control over the organization’s security posture and preserving industry and regulatory compliance status.
Why is DevSecOps important?
Organizations are innovating at the speed of light; the organization’s ability to generate and meet market demand through a creative and unique experience could make or break the business. Do it quickly, at scale, with high quality, and your business could win. Delay the release, miss the mark on features, quality, or experience, and there’s a potential the application could fail. Do it without integrating security and privacy requirements early in the development lifecycle, and any gains you get could experience could be at risk due to an application vulnerability being exposed and compromised.
To minimize this risk, DevSecOps puts the security posture of the organization and the protection of business, customer, and partner data at the forefront of every application development program. DevSecOps aspires to coordinate efforts across multiple functions within (and possibly even outside) the organization to ensure the program’s value can be delivered with the highest level of security posture possible, thereby minimizing risk to the business, the partner ecosystem, and the customers that rely on the applications and services enabled by the program.
Ultimately, DevSecOps focuses on the business need, unlocking the organization’s delivery model to securely achieve the desired growth, protecting that growth long term by ensuring the application starts off and remains secure.
Benefits of DevSecOps
A successfully implemented DevSecOps model promotes multi-functional collaboration in support of fast and secure customer-focused business growth enabled through 4 key elements:
- Accelerate security initiatives through a collaborative approach across engineering, IT operations, and the line of business
- Once the model has been proven it can be applied to new and legacy programs alike, scale security initiatives to further accelerate and protect business growth
- Minimize risk of compromise to the business where the application would otherwise be the vector through which the unauthorized entry begins
- With the introduction of security in the model, the business objectives are achieved with fewer delays in product delivery due to security, compliance, or privacy issues
Common tips for a successful DevSecOps program
For DevSecOps, it’s all about defining and addressing security requirements early and often. These are a few areas where DevSecOps can help bring a security-enabled software development lifecycle to bear:
- Push security left by identifying risks early in the process as possible and translate the risk to be readable and understandable by all parties
- Prioritize the actions based on risk level, providing clear guidance for what needs to be done, and when
- Invest in tooling and automation that focuses on guard rails over gates and removes the friction between teams and unlocks the processes to make security easier to address during the development lifecycle
- Embrace modern cloud infrastructures and modern application capabilities to automatically avail of built-in security practices and features
- Embed security personnel within the development team, pairing developers with security practitioners to help build a culture of common understanding, empathy, and shared responsibility
Does Taos help with DevSecOps?
Yes! With Taos DevSecOps Now Services, a subscription-based offering, you can accelerate your security initiatives by adding security as a foundation element of your CI/CD pipeline operations. With a free Taos DevSecOps Readiness Assessment, your program will be examined for:
- An overview of your existing security strategy
- DevOps/DevSecOps culture status and team responsibilities
- Ownership of tools and key processes
- Readiness for DevSecOps team involvement
Recommended for You
Related Service Offerings
Cloud Cost Optimization Advisory
Save up to 30% of cloud spend by identifying areas of waste across hyperscalers
Application Modernization Advisory
A prescriptive and strategic roadmap to reduces risks on your journey into a modernized, containerized application environment
Cloud Security Assessment
Understand how secure your cloud environment is and the key vulnerabilities you need to address.