An explanation of industry terms that is a quick read, and knowledge base.
What is DevOps?
DevOps is a software delivery model aimed at promoting collaboration between the product engineering and IT operations teams to function at peak performance, thereby increasing their ability to release products and services at high velocity with as little friction and latency as possible. Organizations adopting DevOps have been found to deploy code 30x more frequently with 50% fewer failures. (1)
While the primary operational goals of the DevOps model are to improve team efficiency, decrease delivery times, and keep product quality high, the ultimate vision is to enable both the development and operations teams to collectively respond to the needs of the business in near real-time. When the DevOps model is working, organizations can bring new capabilities to market faster, meeting the ever-increasing demands to deliver at speed without impacting the customer experience.
How does DevOps work?
DevOps changes the way the engineering and operations teams function by introducing new ways in which requirements are captured, features are developed, and applications are released. This not only introduces changes to their individual and combined roles, it also requires a cultural shift in the larger operations scheme of things. As DevOps brings the operations team into play during the development process, this moves the development lifecycle from a traditional static and siloed waterfall model to a dynamic release pipeline supported by continuous integration and continuous delivery.
Why is DevOps important?
Markets and industries are moving at the speed of light; being able to create and meet customer demand through an innovative and unique experience could make or break the business. Do it quickly, at scale, with high quality, and your business could win. Delay release, miss the mark on features, quality, or experience, and there’s a potential the application could fail.
At its core, DevOps puts the customers’ needs at the forefront of the program, regardless of the technologies used to deliver the experience. DevOps aspires to coordinate efforts across multiple functions within (and possibly even outside) the organization to bring more value to the customer. Ultimately, DevOps focuses on the business need, unlocking the organization’s delivery model to achieve the desired growth. With the introduction of security in the model (DevSecOps), the benefits are achieved with fewer delays or blocking of product delivery due to security, compliance, or privacy issues.
Benefits of DevOps
A successfully implemented DevOps model promotes dynamic, fast, customer-focused business growth enabled through 4 key elements:
- Higher quality products brought quickly to market with reduced delivery churn and greater release stability
- Modernized and innovative applications that embrace the cloud and other advanced technologies
- Reduced friction in delivery with increased efficiencies and reduced costs associated with research, development, and operational efforts
- With an eye on reliability and compliance as part of the process, organizations can reduce cyber and compliance risk
Common use cases for DevOps
Given DevOps is a model that can be defined and tuned in any way conceivable, as expected, there are countless scenarios. These are just a few:
- Continuous monitoring, testing, deployment, and release to validate new products and features in the market
- Cycling from proof of concept, to limited pilot rollouts, to large scale deployment
- Integrated build, test, deployment to identify and address bugs, vulnerabilities, and other errors more quickly by automating the rapid deployment of new features, bug fixes, and even security-, privacy-, or compliance-related patches
- Integrated industry standards and regulatory requirements validation
- Regression testing expediency and related tech stack and operational costs savings
- The formalized model can be used to ensure delivery consistency and reliability
Does Taos help with DevOps?
Yes! With Taos DevOps Services, your business benefits from working in a collaborative culture with increased speed and efficiency while producing high-value results. Work with Taos to:
- Modernize applications and embrace cloud
- Deliver higher quality products faster
- Increase efficiencies and reduce costs
- Reduce security and compliance risk
Recommended for You
Related Service Offerings
Cloud Cost Optimization Advisory
Save up to 30% of cloud spend by identifying areas of waste across hyperscalers
Application Modernization Advisory
A prescriptive and strategic roadmap to reduces risks on your journey into a modernized, containerized application environment
Cloud Security Assessment
Understand how secure your cloud environment is and the key vulnerabilities you need to address.